Messages about “Hope” from the three Hierarchs:
Basil the Great, John Chrysostom and Gregory the Theologian
The three holy Hierarchs have been rightly characterized as the preachers of hope. In their wonderful writings they often refer to this subject, which nowadays is so relevant and necessary for everyone. Modern people experience insecurity and despair. The three saints Hierarchs can support and comfort us through the only "Living hope" of the world, Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Blessed is the one who rests his hope in God only and not to the hope that the world offers... (M. Βασιλείου, Εἰς Ἠσαΐαν 10· PG 30,549C-D) (Basil the Great, On Isaiah 10, PG 30,549C-D).
2. God, the Holy One, promises to those who have their hope in Ηim, to give them a way out of sorrow. Therefore, despite the fact that we have reached the ultimate limit of evil, we do not abandon hope in God, but we try to discern the works of His helping hand (Μ. Βασιλείου, Ἐπιστολαί 242· ΕΠΕ 2,26) (Basil the Great, Letters 242· EΠΕ 2,26).
3. Hope inspires courage for the future, even in times when what is seen leads to despair (Ἰω. Χρυσοστόμου, Εἰς Ψαλμούς 142· ΕΠΕ 7,380) (John Chrysostom, On the Psalms 142, EΠΕ 7,380).
4. We may suffer a lot but we have a powerful hope. We face dangers and intrigues, but we have the Οne who saves us. He is not a human being but God Himself (Ἰω. Χρυσοστόμου, Εἰς Α΄ Τιμόθεον 1,2· ΕΠΕ 23,124) (John Chrysostom, On the First Letter to Timothy 1,2· ΕΠΕ 23,124).
5. In my life, I rely more on You, Jesus Christ, for encouragement than on my own efforts (Γρηγορίου Θεολόγου, Ποιήματα ΟΣΤ΄, ΕΠΕ 10,396) (Gregory the Theologian, Poems 76, ΕΠΕ 10,396).
Copyright © 2021 by Orthodox Christian Association «ΧΡΙΣΤΙΑΝΙΚΗ ΕΛΠΙΣ» ΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗ ΑΔΕΛΦΟΤΗΤΑ. All rights reserved.